Flight times are getting shorter for travelers going to and from New York and Boston with 11 new direct routes from New York’s La Guardia Airport (LGA), Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), and Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) in 2023. JetBlue and American Airlines have added new direct routes through its Northeast Alliance, which was created in 2020 to increase competition in certain regions where airlines have dominance.
The addition of these routes will bring JetBlue’s lower fare options to the region, as major airlines such as Delta and United have dominated the New York City market. The new direct routes include eight domestic routes to locations such as Atlanta, Georgia; Birmingham, Alabama; Buffalo, New York, Columbia, North Carolina; Greenville, North Carolina; Hyannis, Massachusetts; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Knoxville, Tennessee. Three new international routes have been added for Nassau, Vancouver, and Bermuda.
The alliance provides an incentive for JetBlue and American Airlines to coordinate collaborative flight scheduling between Boston and LaGuardia since JetBlue is the sole operator between the two, providing travelers with more convenient connection times.
The controversial alliance which has received criticism for decreasing competition has created 50 new routes out of John F Kennedy, La Guardia Airport, Boston Logan International Airport, and Newark, with 17 new international routes, while increasing frequencies and capacities on others already running.
“Giving customers more choices for travel is a critical part of the Northeast Alliance,” said Anmol Bhargava, American’s Vice President of Global Alliances and Partnerships in a press release. “We are pleased that with our partner, JetBlue, we will now serve 45 of the top 50 domestic markets from LGA.”
The new JetBlue routes will be going on sale in January, while American Airlines will be offering its flights for sale now.
New Direct Jet Blue Flying Routes
New York’s La Guardia Airport: Starting Spring 2023
- Atlanta, Georgia (ATL) –visit Georgia’s capital and the most popular city with flight options four times per day
- Bermuda (BDA) – enjoy pink-sanded beaches such as Horseshoe Bay with flight options once daily during the summer season
- Hyannis, Massachusetts (HYA) – located on the Cape Cod peninsula, flight options to this beach village will fly once daily during the summer season
- Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) – explore the capital of the Bahamas and its stunning coral reefs with flight options once daily
Newark Liberty International Airport: Starting Summer 2023
- An additional Saturday service will be added from Newark and the Caribbean Island, Aruba, on its premium aircraft (select A321s, A321neos, and A321LRs) for its Mint business class. Mint is a premium experience that is only available on London flights and select coast-to-coast, Caribbean, and Latin America routes.
- The airline will be bringing back once-daily flights from Newark and Montego Bay, Jamaica for the summer
Boston Logan International Airport: New Summer Seasonal Services
- Vancouver, B.C – discover British Columbia’s bustling west coast seaport with daily summer seasonal services
New Direct American Airline Flying Routes
New York’s La Guardia Airport: Starting May 2023
- Birmingham, Alabama (BHM) – taste some authentic soul food in Alabama’s largest city with flight options once daily
- Buffalo, New York (BUF) – take a dip in Buffalo’s surrounding picturesque lakes with flight options three times per day
- Greenville, South Carolina (GSP) – absorb some culture with Greenville’s museums and art galleries with flight options two times per day
- Columbia, South Carolina (CAE) – immerse yourself in a wealth of history, culture, and beautiful parks with flight options once per day
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR) – visit this vibrant city with an abundance of outdoor activities with flight options once daily
- Knoxville, Tennessee. (TYS) – choose between live music, outdoor fun, and cultural attractions with flight options once daily